"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us...For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees?...But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it."

- Romans 8:18-25

                   







ar

I AM 

 PORTFOLIO
 FACEBOOK
 TWITTER
 FLICKR
 FEED

 powered by : BLOGGER


since 06.03.04





- -Wednesday, July 14, 2010- -
T-1 Month Musings.

You know you're not that close of friends with someone if the only thing they ask you when they see you is, "So are you excited for grad school?" If they didn't even know I was going to grad school, then shame on them! Anyways, of course it's the normal question to ask, and without it there would be really awkward small talk. I think I've gotten that questions a bazillion times (which I guess means I'm not close with very many people), and I think I always answer it the same... with a shrug and a "meh."

Honestly, I am a bit terrified to move three thousand miles away. I have been obsessed with checking my academic calendar and seeing how many days out of the year I get to return to sunny familiar California. On the other hand, I feel so privileged to be able to have the opportunity to hopefully temporarily live in a cultured East Coast city and attend one of the best universities in the United States. I really don't deserve it, and it's still mind boggling to think that I (me!?) will be going to MIT.

You know me. I love my bubble--familiarity, close knit relationships that are just a car ride away, and feeling like I belong to something. For Berkeley, the transition was easy. 70 people from my high school migrated there as well, my family was only 40 minutes away, and oh how I love my Asians. When I think of MIT I think of... people who are way too smart and ambitious for their own good, WHITE (I know I sound racist... I'm really not. I love all colors.), and freezing weather (actually, I'm kinda excited about this. I'll probably think I'm crazy looking back).

So... am I excited? More no than yes. Being away from people I love? No. Going back to school? Yes. Studying? No. Taking microeconomics? No. Finding a church? Yes. Making new friends? Yes and no.

And finally.... living in a single? HECK YES!

That's what I'm MOST excited about. Living in a studio by myself on campus. Why by myself? Because I didn't have a great random roommate experience when I studied abroad and every day I envied those who had their own room. I've already started brain storming and planning my amateur interior decorating. I even got my hands on the floor plan and made myself a 3D computer model.




My ghetto inspiration board.




Layout of my studio.



The conclusion of my blog entry is this: come visit me in my future home at Cambridge, Massachusetts! One more month, and then I'm off!!!

Janet posted @ 12:35:00 PM | 2 comments